On 12 September 2022, the Legal and Technical Commission of the International Seabed Authority (ISA) confirmed the selection of six (6) candidates for theoretical internship placements provided by JSC Yuzhmorgeologiya in accordance with its obligations under its exploration contract for polymetallic nodules with ISA.
The selected candidates are:
- Mr. Edwin N. Nyachomba from Kenya
- Mr. George G. Ombewa from Kenya
- Mr. Misbahu Abdullahi from Nigeria
- Mr. Mohammad H. Shahariar from Bangladesh
- Mr. Mohammad Abdul Aziz Patwary from Bangladesh
- Mr. Bamidele S. Oresajo from Nigeria
The two-week theoretical training is planned for the fourth quarter of 2022 (October to November) under the programme “Study and development of mineral resources of the World Ocean - Exploration and development of mineral resources of the Ocean” at St. Petersburg State University, Russia. The full course will include 120 academic hours (94 hours of lectures and 26 hours self-preparation).
The training will include, but not limited to, the following courses:
- Geology and mineral resources of the international seabed area;
- Polymetallic nodules (PMN) deposits;
- Technique, equipment and technologies for PMN exploration;
- Geological/economic assessment of PMN deposits.
All contractors with ISA have a legal obligation to provide and fund practical training opportunities for personnel from developing States and those of ISA, including the participation of such personnel in all activities in the Area which are covered by the contract.
The legal basis for the requirement stems from the provisions of UNCLOS and the 1994 Agreement and is set out in the standard terms of exploration contracts signed with ISA.
Please visit this page to know more about the Contractor Training Programme.
For additional information, please contact:
Ms. Annekah Mason, Training Coordinator, ISA, email@example.com