The Council of the International Seabed Authority (ISA) has endorsed a proposal by the Acting Council President to take decisions of a procedural nature during the second part of the 26th Session, including its resumption, through a silence procedure, similar to the process adopted by the 30th Meeting of States Parties to the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS).
This proposal was sent to Council Members in the letter dated 2 September 2020 by Note Verbale ISA/EOSG/2020/126
The process for taking decisions will consist of the following steps:
- Until the start of the face-to-face meetings, the Council will take decisions of a procedural nature through a silence procedure, similar to what was adopted by the 30th Meeting of States Parties to UNCLOS. These decisions will relate to the election of the President of the Council for the 26th Session following the nominee by Members of the Council from the Asia-Pacific States Group and the organization of work.
- On 14 September 2020, the Secretariat will circulate a communication to inform the Members of the Council on the resumption of the session of the Council on 21 September 2020, and convey relevant details concerning the submission of credentials.
- On 21 September 2020, the Acting President of the Council will circulate a letter declaring the resumption of the 26th Session and tabling a proposal for adoption by the Council of decisions of a procedural nature by silence procedure, which will be deemed adopted if no objection is received by 5 pm Jamaica time on 24 September 2020.
- Subject to the adoption of the Acting President’s proposal, on 28 September 2020, the Acting President will inform the Council of the nominee for the post of President of the 26th Session and propose that the nominee be deemed elected on 1 October 2020 if no objection is received by 5 pm Jamaican time on that day.
- Once elected, the President of the Council, following consultation with the Bureau and the members of the Council, will address the organization of work.
ISA Members that are not represented in the Council and ISA Observers are encouraged to regularly check the website at: https://www.isa.org.jm/node/19713 for the implementation of the decision-making process, endorsed by the Council on 9 September 2020.
The agenda of the Council of ISA for the 26th Session is contained in the document ISBA/26/C/1
For further information on the second part of the 26th Session of the Council, including its documents, please visit: https://www.isa.org.jm/node/19327/session/council#block-media-2
For enquiries, please contact:
Ms. Gwenaelle Le Gurun, ISA Legal Officer: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information visit our website www.isa.org.jm or follow us on Twitter @ISBAHQ