The International Seabed Authority (ISA), in collaboration with the Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries of the Republic of Korea and the Korea Institute of Ocean Science and Technology, will convene a workshop on the Regional Environmental Management Plan (REMP) for the Area of the Northwest Pacific from 26 October to 6 November 2020 (weekdays only), via an online meeting platform
The workshop aims to:
- Review, analyze and synthesize scientific data and information on biogeography; physical, geological and environmental settings; biodiversity, ecosystem features and habitats of the Northwest Pacific seamounts and nodule areas;
- Review current exploration activities within contract areas and distribution of resources (cobalt-rich ferromanganese crusts and polymetallic nodules) in the Northwest Pacific region;
- Describe potential areas that could be impacted by future exploitation of mineral resources in the Area and would require enhanced management measures and precautions; and
- Discuss a framework to address cumulative impacts from future exploitation activities in order to achieve effective protection of the marine environment.
This workshop builds on the results of the workshop convened in Qingdao, China, in May 2018, which addressed the design of a REMP for cobalt-rich ferromanganese crusts in the Northwest Pacific. Since then, a new contract for exploration of polymetallic nodules was approved for this region, providing additional environmental and resource settings for consideration under the REMP.
The results of this workshop will provide scientific inputs to the future workshop on the REMP for the Area of the Northwest Pacific, which will focus on identifying specific management measures for developing draft elements for inclusion in the REMP. For further information please visit Terms of Reference.
Due to time differences, in participant’s locations, it is envisaged that the meeting each day will not exceed four hours. A detailed workshop programme and other meeting documents will be available on the workshop webpage in due course, including an information note for participants on online meeting logistics.
Submission of nomination of experts and scientific information to support workshop objectives
Members of ISA, in particular sponsoring States, as well as contractors and relevant international and regional organizations, projects/programs and initiatives, and relevant academic institutions/scientific groups, are invited to:
- Nominate experts to participate in this workshop, taking into account the workshop objectives and selection criteria.
- Provide relevant information in support of the objectives of the workshop.
For full details on the nomination process, selection criteria and submission of information, please visit call for Nominations and Information. All nominations and scientific information should be submitted as soon as possible, via email to email@example.com
Deadline for nomination of experts: 17 August 2020
Deadline for submission of information: 15 September 2020
For enquiries, please contact: Luciana Genio, Environmental Analyst, Office of Environmental Management and Mineral Resources, International Seabed Authority (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Preliminary strategy for the development of regional environmental management plans for the Area [ISBA/24/C/3]
Implementation of the Authority’s strategy for the development of regional environmental management plans for the Area [ISBA/25/C/13]
ISA Technical Study No.23: Towards the development of a regional environmental management plan for cobalt-rich ferromanganese crusts in the Northwest Pacific Ocean
Draft Data Report: Produced as a background document for the Workshop on the Development of a Regional Environmental Management Plan for the Area of the Northwest Pacific. Kindly note, permission from publishers to use illustrations is pending.