The International Seabed Authority (ISA), in collaboration with the Ministry of Earth Sciences and the National Institute of Ocean Technology of India, will convene a workshop on the development of a regional environmental management plan (REMP) for the Area of the Indian Ocean from 1 to 5 May 2023, in Chennai, India.
The workshop will be held at the National Institute of Ocean Technology of India. A detailed workshop programme, information for participants and other meeting documents will be available in due course.
The workshop aims to:
- Define a geographical area for the development of the REMP, drawing upon information on the geology, biogeography and oceanography of the region;
- Review and analyse benthic and pelagic ecosystem data;
- Synthesize environmental data, including patterns of biodiversity, connectivity, community structure; ecosystem function; and ecological proxy variables;
- Describe current exploration activity within contract areas;
- Undertake an assessment of cumulative impacts;
- Provide scientific descriptions of potential areas that should be protected from exploitation in order to achieve the effective protection of the marine environment; and
- Identify potential non-spatial management measures or options.
The results of this workshop will provide scientific inputs to the next workshop on the development of the REMP for the Area of the Indian Ocean, which will focus on identifying management measures for developing draft elements for inclusion in the REMP.