The International Seabed Authority (ISA) will convene a 5-day workshop on the ISA DeepData database focusing on data management strategy from 21 to 25 September 2020, via an online platform. The workshop will be conducted in three parts:
- Meeting for LTC members (2 days): Monday, 21 to Tuesday, 22 September.
- Meeting for contractors (2 days): Wednesday, 23 to Thursday, 24 September.
- Open meeting for the public (1 day): Friday, 25 September.
Building on the experience gained from the development and initial implementation of DeepData and ISA data management strategy, the workshop aims to :
Closed meetings for LTC members and contractors (Part I and II)
- Develop with relevant LTC members the protocol for the submission of digital data by contractors, when submitting annual reports, including appropriate cataloguing, referencing from annual reports and metadata creation.
- Review proposed updates to the reporting templates, as contained in Annex IV of ISBA/21/LTC/15, within the context of data quality and control mechanisms.
- Inform contractors on the steps involved in effectively populating the updated reporting templates.
- To increase understanding on the features and functionalities of DeepData.
Open meeting for the public (Part III)
- Increase awareness and understanding of the historical background, the contents, the current and emerging functionalities, and the potential use of DeepData to support the fulfillment of ISA mandates on environmental protection.
- Provide updates on the results of Part I and Part II workshop discussion.
- Explore possible mechanisms for collaboration with members of the scientific community and other stakeholders, to support development and review of DeepData.
It is expected that the workshop will contribute to:
- enhanced implementation of recommendations and guidelines governing the submission of digital data by contractors.
- consolidation of updated reporting templates and standardized mechanism for the cataloguing and referencing of digital data during the submission of annual reports.
- increased awareness and knowledge on DeepData and its application.
A detailed agenda and other meeting documents will be available in due course, including an information note on the use of the online Webex platform.
The meetings for LTC members and contractors are closed. For the open meeting on 25 September, members of ISA, as well as observers, contractors, international and regional organizations, projects/programs and initiatives, and academic/scientific institutions with an interest in increasing their understanding of DeepData, are invited to register here as soon as possible, but no later than 14 August 2020.
A description of the workshop background, objectives and expected outcomes is outlined in the Terms of Reference .
The maximum number of participants for the open session will be limited to 80 to enable effective engagement and discussion. Participants will be selected based on their experience and work activities relevant to DeepData as well as potential for future collaboration. Geographic representation and gender balance will also be taken into consideration.
For enquiries, please contact: Sheldon Carter, Database Manager, Office of Environmental Management and Mineral Resources, International Seabed Authority: email@example.com
Action plan of the International Seabed Authority in support of the United Nations Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development [ ISBA/26/A/4 ]
Recommendations for the guidance of contractors on the content, format and structure of annual reports [ ISBA/21/LTC/15 ]